powered by AFI
The working title of the film was The House of the Seven Flies. Portions of the story also were based on another Victor Canning short story, House of Fear, which was serialized in The Saturday Evening Post (2 August-6 September 1952). According to news items in New York Times and the trade publications, M-G-M acquired the rights to Canning's novel in March 1952. The news items add that the author was coming from Britain to the United States to work on the screenplay, but Canning's contribution to the final film is doubtful. The film was shot at M-G-M's Borehamwood Studios near London, and on location in Holland at The Hague, Massaluis and the Hook of Holland. The House of the Seven Hawks was the last film made by Robert Taylor under his twenty-five year contract with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, although he returned for one picture, the 1963 film Cattle King (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1961-70).