powered by AFI
The working title of the film was The Blessing. According to an August 1951 Daily Variety news item, British producer Alexander Korda engaged writer Nancy Mitford to do a treatment based on an idea he supplied. Dissatisfied with the resulting treatment, Korda approved of Mitford's request to turn the work into a novel, which became The Blessing. A May 1954 Los Angeles Times news item stated that Korda maintained rights to the property through 1954 and intended to produce the film. A Hollywood Reporter news item announced that M-G-M purchased the film rights in March 1956. According to a Hollywood Reporter item in January 1958, Sidney Franklin was assigned to co-produce the film with Karl Tunberg, who would write the screenplay to be directed by Franklin. In June 1958, Franklin left M-G-M after many years with the studio, and Jean Negulesco took over as director. The film was shot on location in London and Paris.