powered by AFI
The first two reels of this film was not viewed; opening credits were derived from a release dialogue script at the AMPAS Library. The order of these screen credits differs significantly from the onscreen end credits. The opening credits contain the following statement: "The children in this picture actually performed the musical numbers as shown." The working titles of the film were Interlochen and Magic in Music. The film was initially released in March 1941 as The Hard-Boiled Canary; however, according to Hollywood Reporter, Paramount retitled and re-released the film with a new publicity campaign in May 1941.
According to information in the Paramount Collection at the AMPAS Library, Paramount purchased Ann Ronell's option on the exclusive story rights to the National Music Camp in December 1939. In the spring of 1940, Paramount executives proposed a tie-in with the Metropolitan Opera Company of New York City, which was trying to raise one million dollars for preservation, but the idea was apparently vetoed. Exteriors for the film were shot on location at Lake Arrowhead, CA, according to production files. Hollywood Reporter also notes that the "outdoor bowl" at Interlochen was recreated at the studio. According to the Daily Variety review, a choral group from the University of Southern California performed in the film. The National Music Camp at Interlochen, MI, was founded in 1928 by Michigan University professor Dr. Joseph E. Maddy, and still serves as a summer training ground for young classical musicians.