- Filming had to be stopped several times due to a shortage of horses for the final battle sequences.
- Seiji Miyaguchi, who played the taciturn samurai Kyuzo, had not touched a sword at all before this movie. Editing and careful cinematography were both used to give the impression that he was a master.
- Toho pulled the plug on the project several times when it ran over budget, forcing director Akira Kurosawa to go back and personally argue with the board of directors who were convinced they were making a flop.
- The character played by Toshiro Mifune has no name, and is given one by his companions. In Yojimbo (1961) (also directed by Kurosawa) his character has no name (the one he gives to the bandits is fake).
- Later remade into the Western Magnificent Seven, The (1960) by John Sturges.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute