- The original version was 42 reels, and ran for 8 hours. This version is presumed lost. Please check your attic.
- Sources have claimed Ernest B. Schoedsack was also a cinematographer, but he denies it, saying he was in the Amazon filming Grass: A Nation's Battle for Life (1925) during that time.
- Originally produced with a running time of 9 hours. It was only shown once at this length, at a private studio screening.
- Jean Hersholt was hospitalized after he lost 27 pounds during the filming of the movie's climax in Death Valley.
- Concerning the editor hired to cut "Greed" down to 2 hours, Erich von Stroheim supposedly commented: "The only thing he had on his mind was his hat!"
- as a balloon vendor (although only in a deleted sequence). McTeague and Marcus are in the boardwalk restaurant, and outside, through the window, you can just barely see a man in the background holding up balloons - this is von Stroheim.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute