powered by AFI
The film's onscreen title card is preceded by the following written acknowledgment: "The picture you are about to see was filmed in it's [sic] entirety in occupied Austria. We wish to thank both the State Dept. and the Armed Forces of the United States, without whose help and protection this picture could not have been made." The title card is superimposed over animated footage depicting a Bavarian man pulling back a stage curtain labelled "The Iron Curtain." According to Hollywood Reporter news items, Briskin-Smith Productions and Joseph Justman, who had an interest in the company, purchased Laslo Vadnay and Hans Wilhelm's screenplay in March 1951.
Morjay Productions, which is listed in contemporary sources as the film's production company, was apparently another company controlled by Briskin. According to a late March 1951 Hollywood Reporter news item, Dick Powell and Warner Bros. also considered purchasing the property. RKO head Howard Hughes bought the completed film in March 1952, according to a Los Angeles Times item. According to a October 7, 1951 Los Angeles Daily News news item, the picture was shot entirely in Vienna. In the item, Briskin is quoted as saying that many Austrian actors were afraid to work on the picture because of Communist threats and that the production was "watched" by Russians. Director Don Siegel and star Viveca Lindfors were married at the time of production.