- A Moscow screening of the film during a 1959 cultural-exchange program made it the first U.S. feature seen in the U.S.S.R. since World War II.
- This is the remake of a 1953 TV movie of the same name, with Rod Steiger in the title role.
- At 91 minutes long, this has the shortest running time of any film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture.
- It is to date (2003) the only picture to win both the Best Picture Oscar and the Cannes Palme d'Or.
- The only time in film history that the producers spent more on a film's award campaign ($400,000) than they did on making the movie ($343,000).
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute