powered by AFI
According to Hollywood Reporter news items and the film's pressbook, Bela Lugosi, originally cast to play the role of "Anton Sebastian," fell ill after filming began and was replaced by Irving Pichel. Hollywood Reporter news items also add the following information: James Knox Miller and supervisor Dorothy Reid were to work on the screenplay; Reginald Barker was set to direct but was replaced by Arthur Lubin; and Robert E. Welsh was signed to supervise. Hollywood Reporter production charts include Eugene Borden, George Sorel and Albert Pollet in the cast. Their participation in the completed picture, however, has not been confirmed. A modern source adds Max Wagner to the cast and lists the following additional credits: Art Director Ralph Oberg and Special Effects Ellis Thackery and Howard Lydecker. Meredith Nicholson's novel was first filmed in 1915 by Selig Polyscope Co. as The House of a Thousand Candles. It was directed by Thomas N. Heffron and starred Harry Mestayer and Grace Darmond. In 1920, Henry King directed the Jesse D. Hampton Productions version, entitled Haunting Shadows, which starred H. B. Warner and Edward Peil (see AFI Catalog of Feature Films, 1911-20; F1.2053 and F1.1772). The earlier films were more faithful to Nicholson's novel than this one, which bears little resemblance to his story.