powered by AFI
According to documents in the Twentieth Century-Fox Records of the Legal Department and the Twentieth Century-Fox Produced Scripts Collections at the UCLA Arts-Special Collections Library, the studio purchased an original screenplay by William Bowers and William Sellers, entitled The Big Gun, in April 1949 for $30,000. A December 24, 1948 Hollywood Reporter news item announced that Columbia intended to buy the screenplay, but that deal apparently never materialized. Bowers and Andre de Toth were later nominated for a Best Motion Picture Story Academy Award. Exteriors for The Gunfighter were shot around Lone Pine, CA in late October 1949, according to studio files. Modern sources state that cinematographer Charles G. Clarke shot the title backgrounds using Gregory Peck's double. A radio version, featuring Gregory Peck, was broadcast on Screen Directors' Playhouse on June 7, 1951. A television adaptation of Bowers and Sellers' script, written by Sam Peckinpah, titled End of a Gun, was broadcast on the CBS network's The 20th Century-Fox Hour in January 1957. That version was directed by Lewis Allen and starred Richard Conte.