powered by AFI
Hollywood Reporter and Los Angeles Times news items add the following information about the production: Jean Heather was first announced as the film's second female lead. In June 1947, John Goodman replaced William Flannery as art director on the picture so that Flannery could finish work on Dudley Nichols' film Mourning Becomes Electra . Leo McCarey's Rainbow Productions borrowed Ann Sheridan from Warner Bros. for the film. McCarey used a twenty-five-piece high school band, assembled from various Los Angeles schools, for a sequence in the picture. Technical advisor Rev. J. Herbert Smith was the pastor of All Saints Episcopal Church in Beverly Hills, CA. St. James Episcopal Church was used as a model for the film's church interior. In April 1947, Hollywood Reporter announced that locations were being scouted in Arizona and New Mexico, but it is not known if any scenes were actually shot there. In January 1948, McCarey was reportedly shooting two additional scenes for two different endings, from which sneak preview audiences were to select the final ending. The contents of the second ending is not known. Gary Cooper was called away from the production so that he could testify as a friendly witness at the HUAC meetings in Washington, D.C. on October 23, 1947. During filming, Cooper, whose career was floundering at the time, signed a significant contract with Warner Bros. Ann Sheridan reprised her role in a September 25, 1950 Lux Radio Theatre broadcast, co-starring Joel McCrea.