powered by AFI
The working title of the film was Fighting U.S. Coast Guards. A written dedication to the men and women of the Coast Guard and an acknowledgment of the assistance of the Department of Defense appears after the credits. The following written prologue appears after the dedication: "The Coast Guard, operating under the Treasury in peace and under the Navy in war, had already been transferred to the Navy and had assigned liaison officers to certain shipyard activities in which the Navy had a vital interest." The following written epilogue appears at the end of the film: "Today, as in 1941, the Coast Guard stands united with Armed Forces on land, on sea and in the air, always ready to serve humanity in peace or in war."
According to December 1950 and January 1951 Hollywood Reporter news items, portions of the film were shot at Navy and Coast Guard installations at San Diego and Oceanside, and at Paradise Cove in Malibu. During production, scenes from the film, performed by Brian Donlevy, Forrest Tucker and Ella Raines, were broadcast on the ABC television network, according to a December 1950 Hollywood Reporter news item.