- Originally planned with James Cagney playing the title role, but he quit Warner Brothers and production was postponed for three years.
- The palomino horse that Olivia de Havilland rides in this film is none other than Trigger, shortly before it became 'Rogers, Roy' 's mount.
- Michael Curtiz took over from director William Keighley when the producers felt that the action scenes lacked impact.
- Heavily padded stunt players and actors were paid $150 per arrow for being shot by professional archer Howard Hill, who also played the captain of the archers, whom Robin Hood defeats in the tournament by splitting his own arrow. Splitting the arrow was Hill's feat, too, done in one take with no trick photography.
- German audiences will wait in vain for the notorious lines "You speak treason!" - "Fluently." In the German version, it is dubbed as "Ihr sprecht unbedacht!" - "Wei? ich." ("You speak before you think!" - "I know.") Probably they chose this quip (clever in its own right, but in a different vein than the original) because a more faithful translation would have lost the play on words completely.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute