- The role of Klaatu was originally intended for Claude Rains.
- The role of Gort was played by Lock Martin, the doorman from Grauman's Chinese, because he was extremely tall, but was unable to pick up Helen because he was so weak and had to be aided by wires. (In shots from the back where he's carrying her, it's actually a lightweight dummy in his arms.) He also had difficulty with the heavy Gort suit and could only stay in it for about half an hour at a time.
- There were two Gort suits: one that laced up down the back for when he had his front to the camera, another that laced up in the front for the shots of his back.
- The phrase "Klaatu barada nikto" has become a popular phrase among sci-fi fans over the years and has been featured in other movies; see also Army of Darkness (1993)."
- To give the appearance of seamlessness to the space ship, the crack around the door was filled with putty, then painted over. When the door opened the putty was torn apart, making the door seem to simply appear.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute