- Producer Erich Pommer wanted to have 'Fritz Lang' as the director for this film. Lang was interested, but then decided to work on another film.
- Writer Hans Janowitz wrote the female lead character for his girlfriend Gilda Langer, an actress at the "Residenz-Theater" in Berlin. Unfortunately she died shortly before filming began, and so Lil Dagover got the role.
- The first and last scenes were added after political pressure was applied to ensure that "authority" was not questioned or represented as insane.
- The sets were made out of paper, with the shadows painted on the walls.
- Widely considered to be the first true horror film ever made.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute