- Director D.W. Griffith visualized the whole film in his mind and did not write out a script or keep written notes.
- Premiered in Los Angeles with the title "The Clansman", after the novel on which it was based.
- The black characters are played by white actors with make-up.
- The character of Austin Stoneman is based on Thaddeus Stevens, a representative from Pennsylvania, including the details of his wig and clubfoot.
- Griffith directed 13 Civil War-based one-reelers before undertaking Birth of a Nation.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute