powered by AFI
The film was released as a sequel to Vitagraph's 1915 production The Battle Cry of Peace; it was originally entitled The Battle Cry of War and was copyrighted under the title Womanhood. According to a news item, the film was "the brain child of ex-President [Theodore] Roosevelt," who offered many suggestions during its production. According to another news item, Wally Van, another Vitagraph director, took aerial shots with his cameraman from a balloon, of exploding shells at Pittsfield, Massachusetts, while battle scenes were being filmed below. It is unclear whether Van's footage was included in the film. A third news item reported that during battle scenes shot in the Fox Hills near Grasmere, Staten Island, director Earle was severly injured by a premature mine explosion. The Thirteenth Coast Artillery, New York police from Fort Wadsworth, New York preparedness camp, and the Second Battery of Brooklyn participated in the battle scenes. An eight reel version of the film began a pre-release showing in Philadelphia on March 19, 1917. The film had its premiere in New York on April 1, 1917. Later versions were reviewed as five reels long. According to a modern source, J. Stuart Blackton's eldest son, James Stuart Blackton, Jr., was the assistant director, and Woodrow Wilson appeared in the film.