- The original original choice to play Tarzan was a vaudeville actor and ukelele player Winslow Winston, but before the film started he enlisted and left for the battlefields of WW1.
- Young men from the New Orleans Athletic Club played the ape parts.
- In one scene a lion is supposed to crawl through the window of Tarzan's cabin to devour Jane. Tarzan grabs him and pulls him out. In fact the old and drugged lion turned on Elmo Lincoln who stabbed and killed him. "I stepped on him to beat my chest. As my foot pressed down on him, the remaining air in his lungs escaped with a loud whoosh. I was already shaken and you should have seen me jump!" The lion wound up as a lobby display when the picture opened on Broadway.
- Lincoln's stunt double was Frank Merrill, who would later go on to play Tarzan in two films.
- Production began with Stellan Windrow playing Tarzan. After five weeks of shooting, Windrow quit to enlist in the First World War. Footage of him swinging from vines remains in the final film.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute