powered by AFI
This film was originally made by Pergor Productions under the title Tarantula and, according to documents in the MPAA/PCA Collection at the AMPAS Library, was viewed and granted a PCA seal in October 1951. However, it appears that the producers had difficulty in securing a distributor and when Howco eventually bought the film some time in the spring of 1952, that company assigned Ron Ormond to direct additional footage for the film, which was to be retitled Lost Women of Zarpa. A Los Angeles Times news item of July 4, 1952 reported that Jackie Coogan had been signed to appear in the film, now titled Mesa of Lost Women. The revised film was viewed and granted a PCA seal in mid-August 1952. The film was reviewed in The Exhibitor in June 1953 but did not open in Los Angeles until October 1956.
There are several differences between the opening cast credits and the cast list at the film's conclusion. At the beginning, after Coogan, Allan Nixon and Richard Travis' names, there appears the statement: "Narrated by Lyle Talbot." After Mary Hill and Robert Knapp's names, the following credit appears: "Introducing Tandra Quinn." Samuel Wu's name does not appear in the opening credits. Actor George Barrows' surname is misspelled "Burrows" in the onscreen credits.
A Hollywood Reporter production chart of July 3, 1952 lists William Nolte as assistant director, Harry Smith as sound recordist and adds June McCall to the cast of the additional scenes. Only Gil Warrenton is listed as director of photography on the chart, and it is probable that Karl Struss shot the earlier footage. McCall's appearance in the completed picture has not been confirmed.