- Director David Lean originally wanted Albert Finney for the title role. Katharine Hepburn urged producer Sam Spiegel to cast 'Peter O'Toole (I)' .
- Although 216 minutes long, this film has no women in speaking roles.
- The 1989 version was restored by Robert A. Harris who produced a new 65mm preservation interpositive from the original camera negative (including outtakes and alternate shots) and color separations. The camera negative was in its final months of usability.
- Marlon Brando was also considered for the lead role.
- the voice of the motorcyclist who yells "Who are you?" across the Suez Canal (he is not, however, the actual motorcyclist).
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute