- The movie was shot in sequence (i.e., the scenes were filmed in the same order they're shown). Many of the actors were surprised by the final plot twist.
- The uncredited soldier singing at the Christmas Party is Ross Bagdasarian, also known as Dave Seville, the leader/creator/voice of Alvin and the Chipmunks.
- Stalag 17 was not the inspiration for the TV Series "Hogan's Heroes" despite the presence of a character called "Sgt Schultz" and a somewhat put upon Kommandant. The creators of "Hogan's Heroes" were sued over this very issue and were victorious.
- The role of Sefton was originally written for Charlton Heston. But as the role evolved and became more cynical, William Holden emerged as the director's choice. Holden was asked to see the play on which the movie was based. Holden walked out at the end of the first act. He was later convinced to at least read the screenplay.
- William Holden's acceptance speech for Best Actor was the shortest in Academy history. He said only two words: Thank You
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute