- 1,400 actresses were interviewed for the part of Scarlett O'Hara. 400 were asked to do readings.
- When filming began, the part of Scarlett O'Hara had not yet been cast. Vivien Leigh was introduced to producer David O. Selznick by his brother Myron Selznick during filming. (The actor in the long shots during the fire scenes is a double.) Leigh wanted the role so much that she read the novel and several volumes on the Civil War.
- Bette Davis turned down the role of Scarlett O'Hara, thinking that her co-star would be 'Flynn, Errol' , with whom she refused to work.
- Amongst the many famous actress considered for the part of Scarlett were Joan Crawford, Claudette Colbert, 'Carole Lomard' , Katharine Hepburn, Olivia de Havilland, Margaret Sullavan, and Tallulah Bankhead. Bankhead (an authentic 'Southern Belle' from Alabama) was the clear frontrunner, but her unsavory personal life made producers reluctant to hire her.
- Production began with Robert Gleckler playing Jonas Wilkerson. After a month of filming, Gleckler died. His scenes were re-shot with replacement cast member Victor Jory.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute