powered by AFI
DVDs from TCM Shop
Robert B. Sinclair began the direction of this film, but, according to Hollywood Reporter news items, W. S. Van Dyke II took over as the director when Sinclair became ill just before Christmas, 1940. Van Dyke, who was an officer in the U.S. Marines, was granted a fourteen-day leave to finish the picture, according to Hollywood Reporter. Because neither Sinclair nor Van Dyke was available for retakes, Richard Thorpe directed those scenes, but only Van Dyke is credited onscreen. According to news items in Hollywood Reporter, Ingrid Bergman was loaned to M-G-M for the film by David O. Selznick's company, and George Saunders was loaned by Twentieth Century-Fox for the film.