- To get the authenticity he wanted, Richard Brooks filmed in all the actual locations including the Clutter house (where the murders took place) and the actual courtroom (6 of the actual jurors were used). Even Nancy Clutter's horse Babe was used in a few scenes, and that's the actual hangman who pulled the lever on the real Hickcock and Smith.
- 5 students from the University of Kansas' theater department got roles: Paul Hough, Kip Niven, Brenda Curran, Richard Kelton, and Mary-Linda Rapelye.
- 'Blake, Robert' and 'Wilson, Scott' were not the first choices to play the cold-blooded murderers. Studio heads at Columbia Pictures originally wanted 'Newman, Paul' and 'McQueen, Steve' in the lead roles. Newman chose instead to star in Cool Hand Luke and Hombre that year; McQueen worked on The Thomas Crown Affair and Bullitt.
- In the scene where the fugitives pick up the young boy and the old man on the way to Las Vegas, Robert Blake's character make's a reference to the movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The (1948).Robert Blake played the paper boy who sold the winning lottery ticket to Bogart in that classic movie.
- The family photos seen in the rooms of the house are real photos of the Clutter family members.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute