- Winston Churchill once said that this film had done more for the war effort than a flotilla of destroyers.
- Greer Garson's Best Actress acceptance speech lasted an incredible 5 1/2 minutes, making it a Hollywood record.
- After first-choice Norma Shearer rejected the title role (as she refused to play a mother), Greer Garson was cast. Although he didn't want the part either and was contractually bound to take it, she won the Academy Award for her performance.
- Greer Garson married Richard Ney who played her son in the movie!
- The "vicar's speech" near the end was reportedly re-written by William Wyler and Henry Wilcoxon the night before it was shot. It was translated into various languages and air-dropped in leaflets over German-occupied territory, and was broadcast over the Voice of America at Pres. Roosevelt's request.
- First movie to receive five acting nominations at the Academy Awards.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute