- George Lucas and Brian De Palma held a joint audition for Carrie (1976) and Star Wars (1977). Originally, Sissy Spacek was cast as Princess Leia, and Carrie Fisher as Carrie. However, Carrie Fisher refused to appear in nude scenes, but Spacek was willing to do them. So, they switched parts.
- Jodie Foster was George Lucas's second option for Princess Leia.
- 'Russell, Kurt' , Nick Nolte, and Christopher Walken were all candidates for the role of Han Solo as George Lucas wanted to stay away from any actors he had previously used in his films. Harrison Ford (who had played Bob Falfa in Lucas'sAmerican Graffiti (1973)) read the part of Hans Solo for screen tests of other characters but wasn't originally considered for the part. During these tests Lucas realized Harrison Ford was perfect for the role.
- James Earl Jones supplied the voice of Darth Vader, but specifically requested that he not be credited as he felt he had not done enough work to get the billing. (He does receive billing in the 1997 "Special Edition".) David Prowse was supposedly extremely annoyed at not being told that his voice would be dubbed.
- It is rumored that George Lucas wanted Orson Welles to do Darth Vader's voice.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute