- Anthony Quayle spent part of WWII in Albania organizing guerilla forces.
- 'Holden, William' asked for $750,000 plus 10% of the gross to play Mallory. He was turned down and Gregory Peck was cast.
- One of the Rhodian locations used in the film has been renamed "Anthony Quinn Bay" after the actor was reported to have bought property nearby.
- The plot went through so many twists that Gregory Peck finally submitted his own version to Foreman: "'Niven, David' really loves Tony Quayle and Gregory Peck loves Anthony Quinn. Tony Quayle breaks a leg and is sent off to hospital. Tony Quinn falls in love with Irene Papas, and David Niven and Peck catch each other on the rebound and live happily ever after."
- Original director was Alexander Mackendrick. Fired by Carl Foreman due to creative differences.
- David Niven wears a Rifle Brigade cap badge on his beret, this was the regiment he was commissioned into in WW2
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute