- This movie contains the longest uncut fencing duel ever caught on film. Close-ups were filmed afterward and spliced in.
- The horseback chase scenes were filmed in Golden Gate Park near the DeYoung Museum and the shot of the female character riding the horse up the steps was filmed in front of the Band Concourse across from the Japanese Tea Garden.
- A final scene in which the Marquis de Maynes is killed at the storming of the Bastille was cut in editing, as was another final one with Queen Marie Antoinette.
- Originally both Elizabeth Taylor and Ava Gardner were supposed to be in this film, but had to decline due to other commitments.
- The filmmakers had trouble with the censors over two issues: the suggestion of possible incest between the principals and the suggestion that Andre and Lenore were having a sexual relationship outside of marriage.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute