- Jessica Tandy was originally slated to play Blanche, after creating the role on Broadway. The role was given to Vivien Leigh (after Olivia De Havilland refused it) because she had more box-office appeal.
- 'Garfield, John' turned down the role of Stanley Kowalski because he didn't want to be overshadowed by the female lead.
- Vivien Leigh, who suffered from bipolar disorder in real life, later had difficulties in distinguishing her real life from that of Blanche DuBois.
- Actor Mickey Kuhn, who played Vivien Leigh's nephew, Beau Wilkes, in Gone with the Wind (1939) also played the young sailor who helps her off the train in "A Streetcar Named Desire." It's not recorded as to whether they recognized each other after twelve years or not.
- To date (2003), it is one of only two films in history to win three Academy awards for acting. The other is Network (1976)
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute