- As filmed, this film included a sequence in which Wilma Dean Loomis takes a bath while arguing with her mother. The bickering finally becomes so intense that Wilma jumps out of the tub and runs nude down a hallway to her bedroom, where the camera cuts to a close-up of her bare legs kicking hysterically on the mattress. Both the Hollywood censors and the Catholic Legion Of Decency objected to the hallway scene, finding the bare backside unsuitable for public display. Consequently, director Elia Kazan dropped the piece, leaving an abrupt jump from tub to bed.
- Depicts the first French kiss in a Hollywood film.
- Dennis Hopper was considered for the role of Bud Stamper.
- The film's title comes from a poem by William Wordsworth: "Though nothing can bring back splendor in the grass/glory among the flowers/we will grieve not for what is lost/but find strength in what remains behind."
- Both Jane Fonda and Lee Remick were considered for the role of Deanie.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute