- Jack Lemmon originally had two other actors proposed to star with him. They were Frank Sinatra and 'Gleason, Jackie' , but Lemmon insisted that he do the picture with Walter Matthau.
- Production was halted for weeks after Matthau had a heart attack. He had slimmed from 190 to 160 pounds by the time filming was completed, and had to wear a heavy black coat to conceal the weight loss.
- Lemmon's wheelchair ballet "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To", lasts 3 1/4 minutes and was completed in one take.
- For the scene in which he motors through the city searching for Ron Rich (aka "Boom Boom") Lemmon also served as a driver cinematographer and gaffer.
- Marked the first pairing of Lemmon and Matthau, who subsequently worked together on nine additional films.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute