- The producers were only able to locate four of the many Sherman tanks seen on the screen. The rest were plastic molds set on top of VW Beetle chassis. The tank treads didn't reach the ground, but the film is edited so that this isn't noticeable.
- Originally rated "R" by the MPAA for strong language, it was lowered to "PG" upon appeal.
- There are 13 Oscar-winners associated with the movie, six of them actors (though none earned their Academy Awards for this picture).
- Despite the film being made over thirty years after the actual battle, a number of its principle characters were able to be employed as military consultants during production. The list of people includes: Brian Horrocks (Fox), James Gavin (O'Neal), J.O.E. Vandeleur (Caine), John Frost (Hopkins), and R.E. Urquhart (Connery).
- 'Steve McQueen' and Audrey Hepburn were originally cast to play Major Julian Cook and Kate Ter Horst repectively. But they were dropped when Hepburn's asking salary price was too high, and McQueen only wanted to appear in starring roles, not all-star assembled projects.
Please support TCMDB by adding to this information.Click here to contribute